Sunday, July 13, 2008

A working title... If Caesar was alive, you'd be chained to an oar

I suppose my second blog should be a bit of an explanation for the long Latin phrase that denotes this blog site as mine. Most of you lovely people will not have taken Latin, or if you have - like me - you may have forgotten half of it. However, I do still love the Latin language.

To understand the picking of this phrase, we must back up in time - oh, say a day - to the persuasions of one Tavia and one Jon (the jury is still out on whether this was a good idea or not though.) As I was posted a rather amusing (in my opinion) comment on her blog, I was told that I needed a blog. Convinced that the world would be a lesser place without my rantings put out on cyber space, I decided that yes, I would enlighten the world with my madness. (Some pretty powerful convincing, huh?)

So this morning, I woke up to yet another cold winter day, and thought to myself "Self, today is the day to start blogging to your hearts content." So I jumped online, and set this little page up. Now, if you have a blog on here, you may know that half the names that you may think up for your blog.com are already taken - not fair! I tried a few out and each time got an annoying little message "Not available" "Not available" "NOT AVAILABLE". I think it really started yelling at me!

But then... fate stepped in... or at least Latin stepped in. I thought appropriate and amusing the translation. "If Caesar was alive, you'd be chained to an oar." Ok, maybe it isn't actually appropriate, but it is certainly an amusing quote. So there you are! How I was convinced to write and how I came up with such a silly looking phrase.

No comments: